Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Non-material culture is a group’s way of thinking and doing. In other words, non-material culture is a group’s belief, values and the way that individuals of that group see and act in the world. It is the intangibles parts of a groups culture.
Through the first three weeks of sociology I have been able to understand that my catholic upbringing (a non-material culture) has affected the way I act and think as well as having some effect on my material culture. My family was never the strict catholic followers and I went to public school for all 12 years of my early education, my parents still had me attend Sunday school until my confirmation in 8th grade, as well as ushering me to church every Sunday. But as I enter my second year of college and continue to feel a growing independence towards my family I still feel a strong tie to the Catholic Church and the beliefs that they bestowed on me. This has never been stronger felt than over the summer when my father suffered a major heart attack. When I heard the news I was devastated and in a constant shock, my first instant was to change my status on Facebook so that my outside family and close friends would know what was happening. As the weeks went on of my dad being in the ICU I kept constant updates going on Facebook. More often than not did someone write “You and your dad will be in my prayers.” Now I had been told to say my prayers every night, something that I gave up way in second grade. But as I read those comments from old friends from church and family members, all who are strong Catholic believers, I really did feel overwhelming support. I think because of my Catholic culture, even though it might not be as strong as many that I know, those words had a different meaning then when they are spoken to an atheist. I saw this when I was standing with my brother, an atheist, and his friend. His friend claimed that he would be praying for my father, my brothers reaction showed me that he did not feel the same calming feeling that I felt by hearing that sentiment.
As I sat in class listen to the talk of non-material culture I realized that non-material culture in turn has an influence on one’s material culture, or the visual aspects of culture. I have worn a cross around my neck ever since my confirmation. Even though I don’t go to church every weekend now that I’m in school, I never take the necklace off. The necklace symbolizes to everyone that sees it that I am Catholic and I believe in the practices of the Catholic Church. It helps portrays to people my intangible culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment